Dubai is the city of dreams, lights, and really tall buildings. I’ve been here a while now, and I really wanted to get a car to make life a little easier. You’d think getting a license would be a fairly simple task, right?
I applied for my driving license with EDI (Emirates Driving School) in the first week of April 2016. When did I FINALLY get my driving license? Last week of August 2016. That’s about 4 months.
Four long months of mental and emotional distress with a long shot of stress and did I mention that all of this is incredibly expensive?!
I failed at least once in every single exam- could be my fault- but I’m a first-time driver so I can blame my incredibly insane instructor right? The dude didn’t correct any of my mistakes- and how was I to know where I’m going wrong?
My theory exam I passed in the second go- which, okay, I take the blame for because I went in like a super confident sucker and failed by exactly 1 point. Yes, that can happen if you are me.
The Parking test- I failed twice. Bloody Parallel and Garage Parking. Although, every time I have to parallel park even now, I cry a lot on the inside. (It’s just not that easy, and it’s not like GTA where it’s okay to bump cars off, you know?)I spoke to a lot of people and pretty much everyone goes through the same torture.
The Internal test- passed in the third go! This is the part where I finally went and complained about my instructor. The new instructor was really good and did correct every single mistake I was making- which helped me.
The final test- passed in the second go!WHEW! This re-take was perhaps the most expensive one.
I spoke to a lot of people and pretty much everyone goes through the same torture. So I decided to do a little post about the emotional torture of getting a license in Dubai!
- Starts with being hopeful and a little smug sitting in the theory classes.
- Those 8 hour of theory classes that we all try to finish in one weekend.
- Giving the theory exam, gets us like…
- Before starting the actual driving classes, especially for a first time driver
- After 4 classes
- Before the parking test
- While waiting in the back seat for your turn for the parking test
- When you hit the pole in the back during your parking test
- Trial Number 3: Parallel Parking
- When you finally pass parking test
- Before the internal test
- And then you see the result of the internal test
- When you go back to doing a few more classes
- And when you finally pass the internal test
- After failing the final test
- After finally passing the final test