If you know me, you KNOW I’m obsessed with Tiramisus. It’s a secret mission of my life to eat Tiramisus everywhere in the world. I have had the crappy ones, the okay-fine ones, the ooh-this-is-good ones and the I-propose-marriage-to ones.
A bit of struggle that I face is, I bake without eggs. I’m a Jain, and for the life of me, I’ve never used eggs. I don’t think I know to crack, break or use them. I do, however, don’t mind eating cakes with eggs in it.
So, I keep trying random Tiramisu recipes, that would be delicious without eggs. My search finally ended up in getting a fantastic recipe from Chef James of Vida Downtown. If you are around Dubai, you HAVE to go have it!
The Preparation Time is 20 mins, and it should ideally be refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
Here’s what you will need for a small serving:
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 packet ladyfingers or sponge fingers
- 3 tbsp powdered brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee (espresso shot can also be used)
- 15g chunk dark chocolate
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 serving jar
And here’s how you make it:
- Place the cream, mascarpone and sugar in a bowl and whisk until all ingredients are mixed and form a thick whipped cream.
- Take your serving jar and layer the bottom with sponge fingers (cut in half).
- Pour half of the espresso over the sponge fingers and leave for a few minutes until absorbed.
- Grate the dark chocolate chunk and sprinkle grated chocolate over the sponge layer.
- Then add half of the whipped cream to the jar.
- Repeat the above steps to add remaining ingredients and create another layer of sponge, coffee, chocolate and then cream.
- Sprinkle top of the mixture with cocoa powder and cover.
- Chill for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before serving.