I spent the entirety of the last two years learning to love myself better, it sounds really corny when I say it – but if you think about it – it’s a hard task. You’re the only person who’s been with you through every emotion, feeling, thought and deed. You know what was right and what wasn’t – but sometimes, you have to step back and remind yourself to love whoever you are.
I started this last year, where before my 25th birthday I sat down and wrote a list of things that I really actually wanted for myself. Tonight, I sat and reviewed them, and realized on this journey of self-love and exploration – I’m on the right track.
So, this year, for me, I want:
- Be in the present: From my last year, I learned to be in the moment – you know, the whole not documenting my entire life at all times – yeah I got there. But, this year, I want to learn to be ‘in’ the present. I’m constantly in an inner battle of the future – so much so, that I forget to really take what’s in it for me now.
- Learn to say ‘Yes’: I can’t say ‘no’, but this isn’t for that. I want to take more risks – some calculated, some not. In that spirit, I want to learn to say ‘yes’ to new experiences.
- Find time for my writing: I keep saying this – that I want to eventually drop everything and just write – especially if its cheesy romance novels and poems. I want to find my muse and inspiration – and make more time for my kind of writing.
- Putting Myself First: This is something that is really difficult for me. But, learning to prioritize my needs – needs to be something I follow through on.
- Nobody can read (my) mind: I sometimes wonder why a certain person didn’t exactly do or behave in the manner I had cooked up in my head. These scenarios are a great reminder that if I want something – I need to ask for it and not wait for it to eventually happen.
- Stop Overthinking: And give myself and my head a break.
- It’s okay to wait: Things will happen when they are meant to.